Computational Epidemiologist, Remote/McLean, VA/Bedford, MA
Our client is seeking a Computational Epidemiologist for a full-time, direct hire opportunity.
It is desired to have someone who can work out of McLean, VA or Bedford, MA, however remote work is also an option for a strong candidate.
Currently, all work is remote due to COVID.
Our client is seeking to expand its expertise in computational epidemiology, with a focus on sponsors in the federal government (e.g., CDC, NIH, VA, ASPR).
In this role, the candidate will be a key part of a team conducting comprehensive planning and exploration across a variety of appropriate agencies to help drive scientific advancement that serves the public interest. The successful candidate will be a thought leader, empowered to shape and pursue a comprehensive vision of this area, with considerable autonomy and accountability. It is understood that as a non-profit, non-partisan entity working in the public good.
Specific duties may include the following:
- Identify and help secure access to appropriate data sets – both public and private
- Lead the development of advanced algorithms and analytic models to predict the effects of major events (e.g., climate change, infectious disease, emerging pathogens) on human health, on one or more of the dimensions listed above, building on existing models and approaches.
- Identify and pursue appropriate collaboration opportunities with external entities in academia or non-profit spaces outside of the organization, as well as internal.
- Innovate on the use of data and visualizations.
- Establish a clear consensus with leadership and executives regarding the utility of proposed analytic approaches.
- Presenting and/or publishing externally.
In particular, individuals with experience in studying or engaging in the following areas of work and research are encouraged to apply:
- Development and refinement of synthetic populations to computationally model real-world conditions and possible scenarios.
- Development and refinement of social contact networks and social network sensors.
- Development and refinement of advanced models of infectious disease progression, including geographical components.
- Development and refinement of advanced models for interventions, including public policies
- Mining of individual behavioral adaptation behavior datasets (e.g., Noom).
- Leveraging real-time health surveillance data (including sampling) and social media for disease modeling, prevention, or reduction.
- Prepare and provide presentation of results to a variety of scientific, public health, and healthcare audiences.
- Any of the above especially focused on vulnerable populations.
Qualifications might include some or all of the following:
- A graduate degree in an appropriate field, which may include epidemiology, data science, medicine, biology, computer science, mathematics, statistics, or equivalent. The successful candidate’s credentials are likely to include several of these educational or professional areas.
- Work and/or research experience with one or more forms of algorithmic development, machine learning, or AI applicable to this space.
- Demonstrated experience in establishing successful collaborations across public and private entities.
- Expertise in the use of cloud computing.
- Relevant recent (i.e., preferably in the last 5 years) publications in peer-reviewed journals.
- Experience working at, or with, NIH, CDC, WHO or other academic or private industry organizations.
- Experience working with publicly available socio-demographic data, including US Census data, local government, and publicly available geographic data.
- Only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.
- No calls, inquiries, or Third Party Vendors please.
- We are an equal opportunity employer (Unable to sponsor H1B Visas).
Since 1988, The ACI Group, a Baltimore-based IT staffing firm, has been committed to hiring the industry’s leading professionals, and presenting exciting career opportunities. We have access to varied types of contract, permanent and contract-to-perm positions and offer a choice of employment options including a full benefits package.
Submit your resume for this job