Jr. Storage and Data Protection Engineer, Rockville, MD
Our client is seeking a Jr. Storage and Data Protection Engineer for a contract-to-hire opportunity in Rockville, MD.
In this role, you will install, troubleshoot, maintain, and coordinate the use and proper operation of servers, storage environments, backup environments. You will evaluate hardware, software, and peripheral equipment mainly related to storage and backup. You will maintain storage and backup user accounts and security policies across the domain; as well as maintain enterprise IT services, oversees system and data security and system recovery mechanisms.
- Participate in the evaluation, selection, design and deployment of procured storage and backup equipment using best practices, with vendor guidance.
- Monitor, evaluate and maintain SAN and NAS storage, to include firmware and software upgrades and patching.
- Maintain ad-hoc storage data infrastructure within scientific laboratories.
- Maintain storage data security and review data permission with primary data owners.
- Responsible for the integrity of the data, and data protection based on established policies and standards.
- Analyze and recommend data security standards to ensure confidentiality, availability, and integrity.
- Perform disaster recovery tests for storage and backup infrastructure in accordance to policy, on a quarterly basis, to ensure data integrity and availability.
- Audit current data security restrictions such as access to network resources or data and recommend corrective action plans, as necessary.
- Audit storage data for data files moves, data file creates, data file deletions, and data file modifications.
- Provide technical expertise for storage/backup incident management, change, configuration, problem, quality and request management following an ITIL model in a hosting environment.
- Develop and monitors storage and backup/restore policies and standards.
- Establish storage policies and procedures regarding access methods and time, security validation checks, and documentation.
- Research and recommend upgrades or enhancements for the IT/system infrastructure, as needed.
- Develop and maintain technical documentation.
- Maintain awareness of technology evolution and proactively recommends further investigation where warranted.
- 1+ experience storage support.
- Bachelors or equivalent.
- Experience managing large scale storage environments with multiple petabytes of storage across the enterprise.
- Experience designing, implementing and maintaining a multi-tiered storage environment including SAN and NAS platforms.
- Experiencing managing, implementing, and maintaining enterprise-level backup environments, preferably with Commvault Simpana.
- Experience in SAN Fabric maintenance, including array and fiber switch administration.
- Experience providing systems usage statistics for use in overall capacity planning initiatives.
- Ability and willingness to communicate effectively and appropriately.
- One or more of the following certifications:
- SNIA Certified Storage Engineer (SCSE) or Architect (SCSA)
- Commvault Certified Specialist or Professional
- Isilon Certified Support Professional (ICSP) or Integration Engineer (ICIE)
- NetApp Certified Data Administrator (NCDA)
- Brocade Certified Fabric Administrator (BCFA) or Professional (BCFP)
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MCSA)
- Red Hat Certified System Administrator (RHCSA) or Engineer (RHCE)
- Experience with creating process improvement for storage and backup services to increase customer satisfaction.
- Ability to drive projects to successful completion in coordination with stakeholders and peers.
- Ability to provide technical guidance to team members and lower level technicians.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience engineering and administering
- NetApp ONTAP
- Dell EMC Isilon
- Understanding and ability to follow industry-proven methodologies, preferably ITIL, Agile, and/or Lean IT.
- Experience in all phases of the engineering lifecycle including conceptualization, planning, requirements gathering, design, development, testing, implementation, operations and maintenance.
- Scripting experience
- Knowledge of AWS, Google or Microsoft Azure cloud product offerings.
- Systems administration with Linux and/or Windows.
- Only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.
- No calls, inquiries, or Third Party Vendors please.
- We are an equal opportunity employer (Unable to sponsor H1B Visas).
Since 1988, The ACI Group, a Baltimore-based IT staffing firm, has been committed to hiring the industry’s leading professionals, and presenting exciting career opportunities. We have access to varied types of contract, permanent and contract-to-perm positions and offer a choice of employment options including a full benefits package.
Submit your resume for this job