Windows Systems Engineer, Rockville, MD
Our client is seeking a Windows Systems Engineer for a Contract-to-Hire opportunity in Rockville, MD.
We have an opportunity for a Windows Systems Engineer to make an impact on NHGRI. By joining our team and supporting Desktop Engineering projects, you can improve the technologies that allow researchers at the National Human Genome Research Institute(NHGRI) to work more effectively.
On this program we provide full IT infrastructure support to the 900 users within NHGRI; which includes about 1000+ MAC and Windows Workstations. In this role you will develop Windows applications & system requirements with an eye towards improving existing desktop environment for NHGRI customers; while working alongside a team of Desktop Systems Engineers supporting Windows and Mac. The successful candidate will have experience with Windows Desktop Administration/Engineering.
- Windows XP, Windows 7, MAC OS
- Windows scripting (batch, vbscript, powershell)
- Providing enterprise network monitoring
- Experience with building, configuring and managing Windows servers 2008 - 2012
- Migrations of Windows server 2008 to 2012
- Knowledge of Enterprise Storage Technologies: NAS, SAN, NFS, CIFS
- Experience with automated deployments of OS images with vmware templates
- Understanding of security policies, scans, and vulnerability remediation
- Responsible for supporting the NHGRI administration of Windows server environment
- Responsible for maintaining the operations, on-going and new it initiatives and upgrades, evaluation for new software, and support for all production, staging, development, and disaster recovery environments.
- Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, managing the appropriate configuration baseline of operating systems, software applications, and security compliance, working with monitoring tools, active directory accounts mgmt., assess and interpret requirements of systems and applications in relation to hardware, software and operational needs, implement efficiencies through automations (leverage powershell, power cli, and batch jobs to automate manual and repetitive processes), and investigate new technology and provide recommendations on system improvements
- Provides technical assistance in evaluating desktop/laptop/tablet software and hardware technologies and determining how they can be effectively integrated into the NHGRI environment.
- Provides technical assistance with integrating new desktop/laptop/tablet software and hardware into the NHGRI environment.
- Performs application patching of desktop/laptop/tablet software such as, for example, Adobe Reader using Absolute Manage (Avante) or other tools as appropriate. This requires the preparation of Absolute Manage patch packages for automated distribution. This includes, but is not limited to, patching of Adobe and Apple products.
- Develops, tests, and packages desktop/laptop/tablet images and applications for remote distribution.
- Assist in the review and development of desktop security policies and procedures.
- Provide support for NHGRI encryption efforts.
- Utilizes functional area experience to assess the operational and functional baseline of an organization and its organizational components.
- Demonstrates success working directly with customer leads with less training and experience in the areas of desktop technologies, to achieve project requirements; with understanding that work products and final results are submitted to and reported by the customer.
- Coordinates the determination of information technology inadequacies and deficiencies that affect the functional area’s ability to support/meet organizational goals.
- Generates functional area strategies for enhanced IT operations in a cross-functional area mode throughout the organization.
- Translates customer needs into system, hardware, software, performance, network, and interface requirements.
- Follows the engineering cycle, including the following; engineering, integration, quality assurance, training, acceptance testing, staging and production.
- Communicates with configuration management personnel to ensure compliance with approved systems configuration plan.
- Works with project management to provide status briefings to stakeholders for specified engineering projects to ensure requirements are met.
- At least 5 years of experience supporting Windows XP, Windows 7, MS Windows server network infrastructure, including active directory, DNS, DHCP, and Group Policy Object.
- Extensive experience with managing and maintaining Microsoft Windows Server 2008 and 2012 operating system environment, including the skills listed below:
- Demonstrated ability to communicate orally and in writing
- Strong organizational skills and strong interpersonal skills to effectively relate to agency and customer need
- Experience with Absolute Manage (Formerly known LANrev) application
- ServiceNow experience is a plus
- Exp with Virtualization
- Understanding of Engineering life cycle (requirements analysis, selection, prototyping and testing, implementation)
- Powershell scripting strongly preferred
One or more of the following certifications are preferred:
- MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administration on Windows 7
- Security+ Certification
- A+ Certification
- N+ Certification
- ITIL foundations certification or ability to obtain certification within 3 months desired
- Only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.
- No calls, inquiries, or Third Party Vendors please.
- We are an equal opportunity employer (Unable to sponsor H1B Visas).
Since 1988, The ACI Group, a Baltimore-based IT staffing firm, has been committed to hiring the industry’s leading professionals, and presenting exciting career opportunities. We have access to varied types of contract, permanent and contract-to-perm positions and offer a choice of employment options including a full benefits package.
Submit your resume for this job